Exchange Server2011.03.25 22:37

From time to time i have issues with my Content index catalog files. in my Exchange 2010 SP1 DAG

When Activating my LabDatabase1

Environment setup.

EX1 and EX2 part of the DAG
EX3 Hub Transport & Client Access server
The following message is shown when Activating the LabDatabase1 on the second Node.
In this case node EX2.
The Move-ActiveMailboxDatabase indicates that database “LabDatabase1” on server
has issues with the Content index catalog files.
I connected to EX2 and started Exchange Powershell window.
I ran the following command:

Get-MailboxDatabaseCopyStatus –Server EX2 | fl Name,*Index*
ContentIndexState : failed
ContentIndexErrorMessage : Catalog needs a reset for database {GUID}
I ran the following command to suspend LabDatabase1 on server EX2

Suspend-MailboxDatabaseCopy – Identity LabDatabase1\EX2

When LabDatabase1 is in suspended mode on server EX2. I connected to server EX1
On server EX1, i started an Exchange Powershell window.

I went to the scripts folder “c:\Program files\Exchange Server\V14\Scripts\”
In the \Scripts folder i ran the following script file.  ResetSearchIndex.ps1 –force LabDatabase1
ResetSearchIndex.ps1 does the following
1. MSExchangeSearchService on EX1 is stopped
2. It deletes the Catalog for LabDatabase1
3. MSExchangeSearch Service is Started
Upon restart of the MSExchangeSearch Service the Catalog {GUID} folder for LabDatabase1 is recreated.

On server EX1 i ran the following command to update the CatalogOnly for node EX2
Update-MailboxDatabaseCopy -Identity LabDatabase1\EX2 -SourceServer EX1 -CatalogOnly
To check the the ContentIndexState for LabDatabase1 on server EX2 i ran the following command

Get-MailboxDatabaseCopyStatus –Server EX2 | fl Name,*Index*
ContentIndexState : Healthy
ContentIndexErrorMessage :

I went back to Exchange Management Console. And was able to activate the LabDatabase1 successfully on server EX2

Additional information.

Reseed the Search Catalog

Posted by RADO